“Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick.” -Gwyneth Paltrow

My Magical Mystery Bag--See what's inside!

So, have you ever wondered what other women carry around in their makeup bags? I always do. I'm always amazed when I see a high-maintenance type who carries only one lipstick around, versus the "natural" beauty who carries her entire trunk case with her when she runs about town. I love to see what women consider "essentials", what their favorite items are, and how they organize things.

That being said, I'm a criminal makeup hoarder. I got the above Dior Beauty bag a few months ago as a Gift With Purchase. It's really not that big, but it's very roomy inside, and I've been dumping various items into it ever since I got it. I thought seriously about editing half (or more) of it out before I did this post, but I figured that was cheating, so here you have it: my "must-have" daily essentials. Trust me, this isn't going to be pretty.

Before I post the first photo (yes, it took 2 photos to shoot everything), I want to be clear on a few points. First, I do NOT use ANY of these items every single day. As I said, I've been hoarding, so cut me some slack. Second, when I was emptying the bag, it was literally like watching clowns piling out of a Volkswagen. Makeup just kept coming, and coming...and coming. Even I was amazed with how much I managed to cram into that little bag. So again, remember this is about full disclosure and total honesty before you judge.

So, here we go with Phase 1 of Shannon's Bag Deconstruction:
Left to right: Chanel Double Intensite in Tourmaline, Stila Lip & Cheek Stain in Mango Crush and Raspberry Crush, MAC Dazzleglass in Smile, Bare Escentuals Lipgloss in Birthday Cake,
Lancome Color Fever Gloss in Metallic Sunburst, LORAC 3D Lipgloss in Untamed, and Dior Addict Lip Gloss in #662 & 686

Whew! Okay, we're halfway there. Ready for Phase 2?
Left to right: Clarins "Special" Eye Contour Balm, Batiste Dry Shampoo, Sephora mirror, Chanel Rouge Coco in Paris and Taffetas Rose, Rouge Dior in Mysterious Mauve, Rouge Coco in La Pausa, Rouge Coco Shine in Monte Carlo, BB&W lotion and body spray in Orange Sapphire, Optive eye drops, Glide dental floss, Urban Decay liner in Stash, and Chanel lip liner in Rouge.

Okay, now for those of you who are thinking (rightfully so) that I must be some sort of high-maintenance psycho, I feel the need to clarify. First off, the dry shampoo is only there because I bought it to try it a few days ago and forgot to take it out of my bag. The eye balm is because my eye area gets really tight and dry towards the end of the day. The eye liner...well, I have no idea why that's in there, nor do I know where the dental floss came from.

Which leaves me with 8,242,768 lip products. Well, now you know why I call myself a "Lipstick Diva." I actually use all of those frequently enough to justify having them in my bag. I often change lip color 2-3 times per day, sheerly out of boredom or moodiness. Since I never know what I'm going to be wanting at noon when I leave the house at 6:00, I feel compelled to have an array of colors from which to choose. You all know it would be a tragedy of Shakespearian proportions if I suddenly felt the need to switch from red lipstick to rosy lip gloss and there was none to be found! C'mon!

Anyhow, now you all know the truth about my hoarding issues, and hopefully you'll love me even with my flaws. And if you ever need advice on how to pack a bag with unimaginable amounts of unnecessary stuff, give me a holler.

19 comments:

makeup merriment said... .

Great bag! I always carry floss too! You just never know. I always carry Clarins Flash balm in my bag- they make some really lovely eye products.

August 13, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Corallista said... .

lol..loved the post! I am nowhere close but I like to carry at least 2 glosses and balms in my bag at all times and maybe 1 lipstick(the one I'm wearing).

August 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Rocaille said... .

Great post, it was so much fun to see what you're hoarding! I always have too many lip products in my bag as well, so I think I understand...

August 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Ella Pretty Blog said... .

Carrying around an eye cream seems like a great idea - I think I'm going to start doing that!

Love your quilted make-up bag.

August 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM
TENDERHEARTR said... .

Beleive me, I don't need a lesson on how to pack huge amounts of makeup into seemingly tiny spaces. I once emptied out my purse and found around 30 lipglosses and lipsticks in there! You never know what you're gonna be in the mood for! Your stash doesn't look like too much to me!

August 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM
Never Enough Nails said... .

No worries! That's what my bag looks like too!

August 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

@Makeup Merriment...you know, I should probably put my Beauty Flash Balm in there, too! Never even thought of that, lol!

@Corallista...I'm a little over-the-top, but you never know when the day will suddenly turn into a "red lipstick" kind of day!

August 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

@Rocaille, I honestly had no idea that I had quite so MANY lip products in my bag, but at least I'm using them all, so I don't feel quite as bad as I would if I was wandering around town with a bag full of unused items.

August 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

@Ella Pretty Blog--I use the eye cream far more often than you would think. It's a great pick-me-up late in the day.

@Tenderheartr and @Never Enough Nails...thanks for the support, ladies! At least now I know I'm not the only one! :)

August 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Bex said... .

Brilliant post! I love 'Whats in my bag?' and 'Whats in my makeup bag?' posts :)
xo

August 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Cindy (Prime Beauty) said... .

I completely understand. The last time I counted by lipsticks/glosses I had 11 in my bag. A girl never be short of options!

August 13, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Grace said... .

great post, i love your bag! i know what you mean by having to much. my last makeup bag was bigger than yours but i filled it up so much with daily "essentials" that the zip broke. Turns out i need 6 different foundations everyday..... now i limit myself to 6 items, and my handbag has never been roomier!
Grace xx

August 13, 2011 at 11:13 PM
luv2smilexo said... .

haha i was just about to say the dry shampoo was a good idea :P

August 14, 2011 at 2:11 AM
Zuzu's Petals said... .

Loved looking in your bag! I am actually quite surprised by the number of lip glosses in there! You are the LipSTICK Diva, after all. ;)

August 14, 2011 at 6:45 AM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

@Bex...so glad you enjoyed it! I love to see what other people carry around, as well!

@Cindy...I'm glad I have someone who gets where I'm coming from. I wouldn't want to be unprepared, right?

@Grace...Well, it sounds like you and I are kindred spirits, huh? Maybe I should try the "limit of 6" trick. Or maybe I could make it a limit of 10... :)

@luv2smilexo...the dry shampoo is a great idea, but I usually don't need it and my hair is so dark that dry shampoos typically make my head look dusty (even when I'm careful and follow directions). I mainly use it for my 13-yo daughter, so I don't really need it in my bag at this point--at least, not in addition to all the other stuff!

@Zuzu...the glosses are a "summer-only" kind of thing. They'll be getting phased out over the next month or two as I return to my true loves of deep reds, berries, and burgundies. I never wear gloss on top of deeper colors, but wear it a lot in the summer over the paler and brighter oranges and pinks. Maybe I should call myself a LipProduct Diva? :)

August 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Soos said... .

I have more lip stuff in my bag than Cindy, but less than Tenderheartr! I need to make room for eye cream...

August 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

@Soos: I'm sooo glad people like my eye cream idea! I figured you'd all think I was nuts! :)

August 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Pammy (PammyBlogsBeauty) said... .

You have a nice assortment of lipglosses there! That's always what I end up with the most of in my bag. I really like the idea of a purse-sized dry shampoo too! Cute bag and great post! xxoo!

August 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM
MySkinConcierge Ava said... .

I always back in more than I think I can too! Us gals must take our entire bathroom with us sometimes on a trip!

Hey please check you emails from Bloom.com. They allowed me to send 10 of my newsletter subscribers a $20 gift certificate and it must be redeemed quickly or it gets sent to someone else! So check that email.

Then let me know what you get from Bloom.com! AND Congrats!

September 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM