“Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick.” -Gwyneth Paltrow

What's In My Drawers?

Well, it's my turn for the biweekly Beauty Spotlight Team feature "What's In Your...?", and I've decided to bare my soul and show you all my makeup drawers. Yes, that's plural...drawers. And there are 6 of them. And that's pretty much just for my most-used items (for the most part), not the items I only use on special occasions, and not the items I didn't care too much for but kept anyway, because you never know when things will change. No, these are more or less my makeup essentials, plus items I'm currently testing for the blog for upcoming reviews. So, now that you know I'm a total glutton, let's get started.

The top drawer contains eye shadows and concealers. I know there are a ton of them in there, but a lot of them are samples from Fyrinnae that I'm playing around with on occasion with plans to review in the future. I also have a few regular singles and a few palettes, in addition to some concealers and the exquisite Touche Eclat eye illuminator.

My current favorites are:

• Lancome's Summer Color Design Palette in Desert Sunset
  • Urban Decay's Naked Palette
  • The new Smashbox Shades of Fame Palette
  • Fyrinnae's shadow in Te Amo
  • YSL's Touche Eclat
Next, we have my mascara and eyeliner drawer. As you'll see, I'm fairly insane for mascaras. I try them and try them and always go back to my chosen few favorites. In this drawer, there are quite a few items that are simply being tested and may or may not make my list. I also have a couple of eyebrow products in there.

Favorites from this drawer include:

The third drawer in the Vault of Excess contains face products such as blush and highlighters. This is by far my barest drawer, as I'm not much of a blush girl. I need color on my cheeks, I just don't really care what it is as long as it doesn't look muddy on me.

Okay, so it isn't exactly bare, but there are only 10 items in there and 2 of them are being evaluated for reviews, so I don't count them.

Favorites from this one include:

As we move down the line, we enter the Foundation Nation, which also has a limited number of items, although still excessive for a mere mortal. This drawer also includes foundation primers and setting powder.

Loving right now:

We've now arrived at my favorite drawer, the lip products. As you all know, I'm a sucker for a pretty lipstick or gloss, so I'm sure you're imagining 100's of lippies crammed into the drawer. However, it's pretty tame, all things considered. There are two reasons for this: First, I have a ton of lipsticks and glosses packed away into each of the three handbags I use, and second, I recently cleaned out all of my winter lipsticks and put them away...in other drawers.

For summer, I'm focusing on:

• Chanel Glossimer in Jalousie
  • The new YSL Glossy Stains, which are unbelievable. I am currently using #11 and #14
FINALLY, we have my "potions" drawer, where the real magic happens. This is the drawer where I keep my favorite skin care products, particularly serums and moisturizers. I love this drawer because it loves me. It's been treating me right for a long time now, helping erase all those nasty signs of age, fatigue, and stress that plague me on a daily basis.

I switch up my skin care quite a bit, as I believe you should use products that work for you each individual day instead of looking for catch-all products that are supposed to fit every circumstance. For instance, I have several eye creams, each of which serves a separate purpose, be it intense hydration, makeup base for concealer, or de-puffer. The same goes for my facial products, as I'll switch things up from day to day according to whether I need additional moisture, mattifying, brightening, etc.

I love pretty much every item in this drawer, but right now I'm getting a lot of use out of:

Whew!! Well, if you're still with me, you're a trooper, because this has been a looooong post. But now you know the truth...I have a ridiculous amount of beauty products, more than any human needs and definitely more than I should have. I'm actually in the process of trying to pare down my routine. Even though there's a ton of stuff in there, you can see I really only love, love, love a few in each category...and I certainly don't wear them all at once!

Tell me, do you go overboard with your beauty products?

24 comments:

Zuzu*s Petals said... .

Thanks for the gawk, Shannon! I suppose it says a lot about my beauty-spending habits if I admit that your stash doesn't look that huge. *whistles innocently*

I loved looking at your goods. It should come as no surprise that we have several of the same items. :)

June 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM
MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said... .

I'm with Zuzu, it doesn't look huge but it looks great.

Where did you get your stack of drawers? I'm always looking for storage.

June 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Zu, I figured we'd have a lot in common in this area! I thought long and hard about really clearing out a lot of my collection before taking the pictures, then realized that wouldn't do any good--I'd still have everything. But then I realized half the fun of these posts is that everyone gets a true idea of what a beauty blogger uses. So there you have it, in all its excessive glory. :)

June 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Thanks, Marcia! I found the storage cabinet at Wal-Mart. Cheap but effective.

June 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

lola seicento said... .

I love you stash, Shannon. Very timely post for me since I have been in the process of reorganizing my stash. You have a lovely well-edited collection. Mine, on the hand, needs some editing. I guess one of the hazards of being a beauty blogger is the propensity to collect far more than we could ever use in a lifetime! Thanks for letting us look inside you stash!!

June 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Thanks, Lola! It's only well-edited because that's the unit where I keep all my favorites, for the most part. There is a box full of rejects in the closet, unfortunately. It's always so hard to get rid of the pretties, isn't it?

June 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM

lola seicento said... .

Hahaha!! Oh yes, I am very familiar with the box of rejects in the closet. I am also all too aware of the BOXES filled with backups that will probably never get used!! It really is hard to get rid of those pretties!! Though I think that Zuzu is definitely onto something with her purging of everything that she no longer uses. Of course her upcoming blog sale will likely result in all of us having even bigger stashes!!

June 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Replica said... .

what a great array of items, I was making the photos larger so that I could have a right good look at everything, aren't I nosey ;)

June 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM
BeautyScraps said... .

Thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower and I love to read these types of posts. I like how you organized everything. I love organizing my stash almost as much as I love the items in my stash :)

June 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Tracy said... .

Love what you own! Not too much and not too little either!

June 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM
katherine said... .

I wish I could be this organized! LOL

June 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Replica, I'm glad you enlarged the photos. I was going to list every item, but it was just too overwhelming. Plus, I wanted to give more information on the items that are really my favorites, as opposed to the ones that I haven't decided on yet or that are more or less just taking up drawer space. :)

June 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Beauty Scraps, I'm so glad to have you here! To be honest, I'm not a great organizer. This cabinet stems from the fact that I had everything jumbled together in one or two drawers at one point and could never find anything when I needed it. I even bought seconds of a few things because I thought I'd lost them, only to find them (the day after I bought a replacement, usually). Finally, I gave up and got the drawers, and life has been much easier since then.

June 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Tracy, you're awesome for being so encouraging. Unfortunately, you haven't seen my big box of rejects or the box of winter items. That would be where it gets pretty crazy.

June 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Katherine (love that name...my daughter is a Katherine!), I wish I was organized. It only appears that way because I took some time to line things up a bit before taking pics. In reality, I'm a drawer-slammer, so things are usually pretty jumbled up in there. :)

June 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Modesty Brown said... .

Thank you opening your drawers to us ;). I love having a nosy in other people's collections and as a fellow multiple drawer hoarder, it feels better to know I'm not alone! x

June 3, 2012 at 3:04 AM
Sarah S. said... .

Great post! I also am a total glutton. I've recently cut way back and gave away a bunch of actually awesome stuff that I just wasn't using b/c it wasn't my favorites. Now, I've got just a little bit more than what fills a double stack of muji drawers. It felt really great to get rid of things I wasn't adoring.

June 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Marsídia said... .

Wow loved everything!!!

June 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM
misspeony said... .

Very nice coll!
I love Chanel items.
I'm one of your follower now, visit my blog :)
we can follow each others!!
YOUR MISS

June 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
beachgal said... .

So nice and neat - easy to find everything. Seeing yours makes me want to go into my cabinet and continue my massive tossing of products that I don't use (some can go to Women's shelter - others never used, I need to get moving and see if I can sell them on Evil bay. I am with ya on needing different skin care products to suit different day's needs - ditto the same thing for my foundations - some days are nada, some days are tinted moist only, some days the latter with a setting powder (IT Cosmetics is my fav of that now), and the rare day I use a full coverage foundation - right now fav of latter is Tarte Full coverage Amazonian clay foundation. Going to see if I can get to at least a few shelves of mine now you inspired me...trash day is tomorrow night so will see how much I can go through and how much will even fit in the tiny trash can we are given - huge recycle bin, but tiny trash bins.

June 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Modesty, trust me, you are never alone! I'd love (or hate, maybe?) to see the entire BSLT's stash all piled up on a table some day. It would probably take a buffet table to fit it all! :)

June 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Sarah, my problem is that I "adore" a little too much! Haha. I really need to start being altruistic and thinking about what would look even BETTER on a friend than on me, and just start giving items away. Two drawers sounds like heaven, to me!

June 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Hi MissPeony--I'll check out your blog later today. Can't wait to see the Chanel Fall!

June 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said... .

Beachgal, a women's shelter is a wonderful idea, especially for skin care items! I need to call around and find out who in my area accepts such donations. Now I need to create another little pile on my castoff shelf!

June 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM